This was a fun week for me because it is the annual Puppet Show week. Back in the day this event was held in the program room of the downtown library and it was a challenging set up. What works for a room of squirmy toddlers doesn’t always translate onto the tv screen. There was a wireless mic system that was finicky and a lighting set up (overhead florescent) that was downright unflattering. Luckily the show is now held in the theater and the lighting and mic situation is much better. There is even a sound guy! I took a small hand held HD (Sony PlaySport) camera around during a performance and collected some extra footage then used Premiere, After Effects and Final Cut Pro to put this short together!
The media production landscape is changing. The public has turned into media creators, not just consumers. Public Access was started to facilitate this change in 1981. It was designed to provide access to media for the entire population. What wasn’t foreseen was the explosion in outlets for video content created by members of the public.
In order for Public Access to remain relevant, we need to re-establish ourselves as a hub that that can provide community, training opportunity, and technical support to local content creators. Outreach will be key in providing community for local video producers.
March 12th was the date of the first ever Fort Wayne Filmmakers Summit. Held in the Spectator’s Lounge of the Cinema Center from 7 to 9PM. The attendees ranged from first time screenwriters to seasoned veterans of the film industry. The audience filled the space and it was standing-room-only for a number of the 90 participants. First on the agenda was the filmmaker’s perspective: Each speaker presented a personal description of the projects they had participated in and a critique of the good and the bad of working on video production in Northeast Indiana. We were lucky enough to be invited to the event and I Co-presented with my coworker, Bob Ihrie.
I did bad things…I killed the Drupal Build the IT guy so kindly set up for me…. So I’ve officially become a pain in the ass and that was the one thing I didn’t want to do. So, I’ve decided to set up a local host version of Drupal and just beat on the poor thing until I know what I’m doing, which could be a Very, Very long time.
There are 2 videos that I found so helpful I want to send the makers cookies:
This one for MAMP by that amazing Addison Berry on Drupalize.me
Oh, and This one is handy for updating your Drupal Core
Thank you both. The process is surprisingly easy. So there.
It all started with a bag of coffee. In an effort to cut costs and economize, I thought it wise to start cutting back on my coffee expenditures. These new austerity measures included buying the basic components of coffee and assembling them in the privacy of my own home. I inadvertently bought whole beans instead of pre-chewed and realized I was going to have to grind them up before I could extract the caffeinated goodness. It struck me that for Christmas I’d received some small device that had blades and a motor and had a chopping/grinding shape. I dug it out of a closet and set to assembling it. That was tough because like most red blooded Americans, I’d thrown the manual away at some point, thinking “It’s a chopper, how hard?” How hard, indeed.
I ‘d filled it with beans and struggled with the locking mechanism for a good twenty minutes before it started to sink in that I might be in over my head. Then through some one-million-typing-monkeys style stroke of fortune I managed to get it locked. “Hot Damn!” I yelled, a bit prematurely in that I’d forgotten to engage the blade apparatus. Flash forward twenty additional minutes to a really vile and disgusting cup of coffee. I sat at my table ignoring the now cold cup of turpentine/rat poison flavored liquid. As I looked at the grinder it dawned on me. It was a food processor, not a coffee grinder. I could grind away forever on the thing and it would still not make the bits small enough to make good coffee. I was using the wrong technology. Like when patrons come in and use Microsoft Paint to make a brochure when we have Microsoft Publisher. They can work on it for hours and it will still look awful. My protestant work ethic tells me that if I work hard enough on something it will be good. But that is not the case when I’m using the wrong tools. The challenge is to get the right technology into the hands that need them as seamlessly as possible.
Sent from a thing I use to communicate with.