I’ve been a bad, bad admin.

I did bad things…I killed the Drupal Build the IT guy so kindly set up for me…. ImageSo I’ve officially become a pain in the ass and that was the one thing I didn’t want to do. So, I’ve decided to set up a local host version of Drupal and just beat on the poor thing until I know what I’m doing, which could be a Very, Very long time.

There are 2 videos that I found so helpful I want to send the makers cookies:

This one for MAMP by that amazing Addison Berry on Drupalize.me

and

This one for Drupal proper by that darling StuntMonkeyUK

Oh, and This one is handy for updating your Drupal Core

Thank you both. The process is surprisingly easy. So there.

Slowly learning Feeds

Feeds is (are?) a handy module for importing great tracks of table information. It likes CSV (Comma Separated Values) and it is very, very, very picky about how those values are prepared. Turns out, there are a ton of different kinds of variable width encoding format versions of UTF8. Turns out, Feeds doesn’t like any of the kinds that Excel (on a Mac) kicks out. Turns out that you get little square indentations on your forehead when you beat your face against a keyboard. I downloaded Text Wrangler to, um, wrangle (which I think means to argue with?) Anyway, I argued with it good. I got it to work after a long battle which I will post the details when I can get it to work again. At some point I was given PHPMyAdmin to use and it helps a little bit, but that is a whole ‘nother learning curve.

The secret is to make sure everything is in quotes.
The secret is to make sure everything is in quotes.

Using a Wordpress Blog to talk about Drupal

as Bugs bunny would say “Oh the irony, the Eye Roe Knee!” But here I am, documenting what I’ve been up to. My job so far has been to download modules to extend usability and to understand how those modules stack on top of each other. Many times you will find that you download and install a module and then find that you need to have another module installed for everything to go. I needed Scheduler to run FeedsImage

My challenge is to figure out the best way to store information about a digitized video file. I’d like to attach all the fields from an extant Access database. The information is a bit hierarchical in that there are series programs that have numerous episodes as well as single programs. I need to store information about both kinds in a searchable way. Since I’m dealing with (potentially) hundreds of files with 10 fields apiece, I’d like to automate it…somehow.Image