I did bad things…I killed the Drupal Build the IT guy so kindly set up for me…. So I’ve officially become a pain in the ass and that was the one thing I didn’t want to do. So, I’ve decided to set up a local host version of Drupal and just beat on the poor thing until I know what I’m doing, which could be a Very, Very long time.
There are 2 videos that I found so helpful I want to send the makers cookies:
This one for MAMP by that amazing Addison Berry on Drupalize.me
This one for Drupal proper by that darling StuntMonkeyUK
Oh, and This one is handy for updating your Drupal Core
Thank you both. The process is surprisingly easy. So there.
It all started with a bag of coffee. In an effort to cut costs and economize, I thought it wise to start cutting back on my coffee expenditures. These new austerity measures included buying the basic components of coffee and assembling them in the privacy of my own home. I inadvertently bought whole beans instead of pre-chewed and realized I was going to have to grind them up before I could extract the caffeinated goodness. It struck me that for Christmas I’d received some small device that had blades and a motor and had a chopping/grinding shape. I dug it out of a closet and set to assembling it. That was tough because like most red blooded Americans, I’d thrown the manual away at some point, thinking “It’s a chopper, how hard?” How hard, indeed.
I ‘d filled it with beans and struggled with the locking mechanism for a good twenty minutes before it started to sink in that I might be in over my head. Then through some one-million-typing-monkeys style stroke of fortune I managed to get it locked. “Hot Damn!” I yelled, a bit prematurely in that I’d forgotten to engage the blade apparatus. Flash forward twenty additional minutes to a really vile and disgusting cup of coffee. I sat at my table ignoring the now cold cup of turpentine/rat poison flavored liquid. As I looked at the grinder it dawned on me. It was a food processor, not a coffee grinder. I could grind away forever on the thing and it would still not make the bits small enough to make good coffee. I was using the wrong technology. Like when patrons come in and use Microsoft Paint to make a brochure when we have Microsoft Publisher. They can work on it for hours and it will still look awful. My protestant work ethic tells me that if I work hard enough on something it will be good. But that is not the case when I’m using the wrong tools. The challenge is to get the right technology into the hands that need them as seamlessly as possible.
Sent from a thing I use to communicate with.